Applications are open for the Glenn Mandeville Memorial Scholarship

Posted on by | 34 Replies

Each year, we have the honor of presenting six $5,000 scholarships to deserving applicants within the communities we serve. Three scholarships will be awarded to students intending to enter the field of education, and three scholarships will be awarded to students selecting a career other than the educational field.

EECU’s scholarship committee will consider those students who meet the following eligibility requirements and proof of intent:

1. Applicant must be a high school senior
  2. Applicant or parent/legal guardian must be a Member in good standing with EECU
  3. Applicant must express on their application his/her intended field of study
  4. Recipient of scholarship funds must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 to receive annual distribution funds
  5. The scholarship must be used for the purpose of study at an accredited college or university
  6. Academic achievement, character, leadership and personal recommendations will be considered in the selection of scholarship recipients

Download an application here, or pick one up in the counseling offices of local high schools within our field of membership. Applications must be received by EECU no later than January 31, 2013.

34 thoughts on “Applications are open for the Glenn Mandeville Memorial Scholarship

1. Just double checking that we have to send both our SAT and ACT scores correct? For both the SAT & the ACT I will have my counselor write down a confirmation that my scores are indeed reported correctly as I am unable to find a listing for the “EECU Glenn Mandeville Memorial Scholarship” anywhere.

• Hi Kira! Please provide whichever scores you have, and if our selection committee needs additional confirmation during the review process, they will reach out to your counselor at that time. Good luck with your application!

2. I could not find this scholarship on the college board website in able to send my scores to you. I called them and they said they.could send them but it would take 3-4 weeks. Is it better for me to just send my application with ought an official copy of my SAT scores, should I have my high school counselor sign off that I’m telling you the right score or should I make sure you get them, even if it’s late?
    Also my high school doesn’t have my attendance data from sophomore or freshman year because the information got lost in the database change. Is that an issue or should I just send what I have?

3. I am a recipient of last years Glenn Mandeville Memorial Scholarship and I had some questions I need cleared up. Is there a number I could call to speak to someone managing this scholarship program?

• Hi Maria! Yes, our events and sponsorship manager will be able to answer any questions you have. We’ll have her give you a call as soon as she can. Thanks!

• In order to make sure we get a clear copy of the app and to make sure personal information isn’t intercepted, we prefer apps to be mailed or dropped off at any branch. As long as your app is postmarked by Jan. 31, it will still be considered for the scholarship!

4. What about students who are currently enrolled in a 4-year university, or who are intending to pursue a graduate degree. Are there any scholarships offered by EECU for those?

• Hi Dakota! Unfortunately, the only scholarship we have available at this time is this one, and it’s applications are only open to high school seniors.

5. I am a little bit frustrated to see that scholarships are always offered to highschoolers. Which is a great thing actually don’t get me wrong. But as a graduate student, who does research and need funds to survive and pay for my research materials and so forth, a little help from my bank would be so appreciated! We do contribute to your firm, we pay our bills, we receive some sort of an assistantship every months. Think about us…we are many. 😉

Thank you.

M.

• I could not agree with you more. I am currently an undergrad who lives with his parents. I have had an EECU account since I was in high school. I don’t like the idea of not being considered for these kinds of things. College undergrads bank with EECU too.

6. Awesome opportunity for students! I am a member in good standing with two kids in college who could benefit from scholarships. Will there ever be opportunities for students who’ve already started college to assist with making it to graduation?

Just wondering…

• Hello LaSunja! Currently, we don’t have any new scholarship opportunities in the works, but it’s possible that we will offer more in the future.

• Hi Deborah! Yes, she is eligible to apply as long as the school is accredited. However, because the scholarship funds are dispersed in quarters each year, she would need to continue school beyond her two-year program in order to receive the full scholarship amount.

• Mr. Mandeville was the Principle of O.D. Wyatt High School when I graduated in 1971. At that time he was still a fairly young man, but was already known as an inovator who brought new ideas and approaches to education. We could use more like him.

7. We have two granddaughters who are seniors this year. They do not live with us. We have been longstanding members of EECU. Are our granddaughters eligible for this scholarship? Please reply soon.

• Hello! Unfortunately the student, or their parent or guardian, must be an EECU member in good standing. Because your granddaughters’ parents are automatically eligible for membership as your relative, they could open a savings account for just $5, making your granddaughters eligible to apply!